Monday, October 23, 2006

Gimme a "L" or
Plus ça change...

Come on Brainy, you know you wanna shake
that green booty with Dream Girl!
Legion of Super-Heroes #28, "The Lost Hero"



Legion of Super-Heroes #34, "The Universo Project, Chapter 3: Forgotten Foe"

I’m posting a bit late on Monday. For anybody who checked TPCM earlier for new stuff, here it is now.

Since I had fun participating in Beefcake/Cheesecake Appreciation Week, I thought, “Why not try another theme week?”

This week’s series features some of my favorite Legion of Super-Heroes “character” moments. These panels will not necessarily be of the “earth-shattering”, “jaw-dropping” or “in-our-next-issue” variety.

For example, today’s panel sets feature a couple of great Brainy & Nura scenes. I dug these up because I was flipping through the current Legion run this weekend and realized how much I was going to miss Dream Girl teasing Brainiac 5. (By the way Waid, thanks for killing Dreamy!!)

I like the first set of panels from LSH #28 for two big reasons: 1) it shows the Brainy/Nura interactions seen in the current run are not without precedent and 2) it’s an object lesson to today’s comic writers that you don’t need a 20-issue arc for good character development. Even if a reader picked up LSH #28 as her first issue, she’d easily be able to figure out from those seven panels Brainiac 5’s a no-nonsense kind of guy and Dream Girl’s a coquettish bombshell who’s much smarter than she might appear.

I like the second panel set just because it’s such a great Dream Girl line.

Say what you will about Paul Levitz, but there’s no dispute the man’s a damn good writer!! Maybe when Waid hands down the creative reins, Levitz will come back for a run. (You hear that Paul? I know you read TPCM, so think about it!)

3 Comments:

SallyP said...

My goodness, but Nura is SUCH a flirt.

Terence Chua said...

And such a good one, too.

Queer Legion (QL) said...

SallyP & Terence: And Brainy loves it! Even if he would never admit it.